This blog is all about email marketing, and we’re always going on about the importance of “email deliverability.” Why?
Not only is it important, it’s a make-or-break metric for any email marketing campaign. It’s also one of the more obscure ones.
Fortunately, it’s actually pretty easy to understand.
What is Email Deliverability?
Before we look at why, we need to look at what. It’s easy to mistake email deliverability and email delivery. They’re almost identical terms, but there’s a crucial difference between them:
- Email delivery is when an email is successfully delivered to the contact’s email address, regardless of which folder it lands in.
- Email deliverability is when an email is successfully delivered to the contact’s inbox specifically.
So, for example, if your campaigns are being delivered but mostly land in spam folders, you’ll have high delivery and low deliverability. You can also think of it as inbox rate.
Why is It So Important?
To put it simply, your deliverability is tied to your chances of success. Think about it – when was the last time you checked your junk folder instead of deleting it, let alone opened or clicked an email from it?
This goes double for cold email lead generation. When you’re trying to generate leads via email marketing, the junk folder is a death sentence for your campaign, because even if someone does actually look through it, they’re not likely to open something from someone they’ve never heard of.
Deliverability also isn’t something you can make up for elsewhere. If your CTR is just okay, but you’ve got an awesome landing page with a great conversion rate, you can compensate for your mediocre clickthrough rate.
But poor deliverability means your email – no matter how compelling your content – simply won’t get seen in the first place. That’s it – that’s why email deliverability is so important.
Optimizing Your Deliverability
Now that you know what it is and why it’s critical, let’s look at how you can improve your inbox rate. All of these things are factors in all email sending, but everything goes double for email lead generation – spam filters are much more aggressive when you’re sending campaigns that are hundreds of thousands of emails strong!
- Write spam-filter-friendly content by avoiding trigger phrases and other red flags
- Ensuring you have a high-quality list (this is primarily for cold campaigns, but it always pays to audit your contact lists occasionally!)
- Follow cold email best practices (they can also help if you’re experiencing poor deliverability in your opt-in campaigns)
- Use email lead generation software (if you’re aiming to generate new B2B leads with cold email)
Why Use Specific Software for Cold B2B Email?
Cold email and opted-in email are two totally different stages in your contacts’ lifecycle, and have very different technical requirements. The vast majority of email automation platforms don’t allow large or cold lists, and that’s for a good reason – they’re not designed or equipped to handle cold contacts or massive-scale campaigns.
Tools like HubSpot, for example, come into play after a contact has entered your funnel. Email lead generation software is a way to bring new leads into your marketing automation platform of choice, and that comes with a separate set of challenges.
When your campaigns are going out to hundreds of thousands of cold contacts, spam filters are going to be a lot more watchful than your few-thousand-contact nurturing campaigns. Aside from the above tips, though, there’s not much you can do on your end to further enhance your deliverability.
That’s where software like Clickback comes in. Here’s a quick look at how it helps you hit inboxes:
- On-demand audit of your content to ensure you haven’t included text, links or formatting that could impact your deliverability (like the above-mentioned spam trigger phrases)
- Built-in checks to ensure your campaigns are CAN-SPAM compliant
- The software uses a separate set of IP addresses and domains, exclusive to you, and warms them up for you. (This article has a breakdown of how that works and why it’s super important)
- Auto-cleans your contact lists on import to remove bad data, spam traps, and other undesirable addresses
- Plenty of additional under-the-hood magic
That’s just scratching the surface of what Clickback does. Want to learn more about it? Book your live 1:1 demo today!